Apr 29, 2009

"Worse Than Expected"

Objective: Climbing Stamina

Warm-up: 10 rounds
6 pull-ups every 30s (+10lbs for rounds 3-8)

Training: (1) 15 rounds
1 cave lap
10 jumping squats (60lb sandbag)
5 dips

(2) 5 rounds
10 push-ups
20 back extensions

Some days it is hard to hold onto anything.

Notes: Another Mountain Athlete session. I was pleasantly surprised by my performance on the pull-up density training.

A cave lap starts out on 45 degree HIT strip then follows a dead horizational roof for 15 feet, turn around, and go back. I suck at roof climbing. However, this is a little different because the feet are below you. It is a matter of wedging yourself between the roof and the vertical feet. Like I have said in the past, roof climbing is fun, but I'm sure how it translates to outdoor climbing. I have never been shut down outside on a dead horizational roof with jugs. The coach at MA pointed that I lack core stabilization in the cave. It is helpful to have an outside perspective to indentity weaknesses. The cave laps were hard, but just because something is hard doesn't make it smart training.

The rest of the stuff made me breath hard but was doable. The only place to dip was on the GHD and could not get full ROM. Not cool.

My hands have taken a beating at Mountain Athlete. I have "jug flappers" on both hands. I climb at many places that are hard on the skin, e.g. Bishop and Hueco, but I don't remeber the last time my skin being in this bad of shape. I wonder about the sustainabitliy of this training.

Bonus: Dave Tate - Listen & Learn
Greg Everett - Read & Learn